"If tomorrow never comes
Will She know how much I loved her
Did I try in every way to show her every day
That she's my only one
if my time on earth were through
She must face this world without me
Is the love I gave her in the past
Gonne be enough to last
If tomorrow never comes."
This song plays in my head from time to time, and , although it is about love, I like to think about that phrase in more ways than one. I think about it in time, in moments, in words, in food, in music... I think to myself, Lauren... if tomorrow never came for you, what did you do today to LIVE?
Today was a sick day for me. Turns out I have a gnarly sinus infection and took to my bed for large amounts of sleep in between bouts of delicious cough syrup. There was once a time when I was unemployed, not in school, and spent much of my days just... being. Much like I did today. I'd sleep in late, watch a series on Netflix, make some mac and cheese, Facebook, and in bed by 9. That was all fine and dandy at that time. However, now I have a full time job, a full time do, and time filled with adventures with my sweet Austin. I can't help but look back on that old "lifestyle" and think, man, what kind of living did I do on those days? How many sunrises did I miss because I was still in bed? How many different people did I lose out on meeting because I was content being alone? How much of my life did I actually live on days like those?
Well, readers, let me tell you something. My eyes are opened. Today is December 2, 2013. I will never live THIS DAY again. I will never live yesterday again, and once tomorrow passes, it, too, will be gone. So, yeah, what IF tomorrow never comes? The chances are, it will come, and I will live to see the sun rise another day. So maybe that's not the question we should be asking here. Maybe, instead, we should ask... What If Today Goes By Too Fast?
So, here I am, challenging myself once again to do something EACH and EVERY day that will make that one and only day worth living. Like I said, today was a sick day. But today I got a bowl of my favorite soup. Today I watched my dog light up when I took him on a ride in the car. Today I wrote a letter to a friend. Today I sat on my Mom's lap, pretending I was 5 years old again. Today I blogged. Today I laughed. Today I cried. But let me tell you something... today I lived. I did things that were special to me, no matter how big or how small, and there will never be another single day exactly like this one.
Why not stop and look at that sunset for 5, 10, or even 15 minutes? Why not try a new food you've never tried? Why not buy someone a present, out of the blue, and watch their mouth turn into a smile? why not go out of your way to A&^W because you know they have the best ice cream?
Why not take the time, right now, to tell someone just how much you love them.
People often say that life is short. I say that it's the DAYS we live that are short. So you'd better believe that tomorrow, December 3, 2013, I am going to do at least ONE thing that, in my book, is considered living.
Goodnight, Friends, and happy December 2, 2013
*revised 12/03/2013*
No comments:
Post a Comment